Friday, December 27, 2013

Mirror Mirror | Jesus & Beauty

I am a 21 year old girl who is trying to maintain modesty in the midst of a world that is filled with models like Miley Cyrus and the Victoria Secret Fashion Show. Sometimes it feels like I'm fighting a battle I won't win. The models will always win out to be the most beautiful, endearing, and eye catching... where as I? Am just your average brunette.
The problem with this thinking is that I am giving the mirror and media way too much control over my self esteem. I am relying on them for my worth and to tell me I'm beautiful. Our worth is found in the one who gave it all. Here's a letter to reflect upon that.
_______________________________________________________________

To my sisters in Christ,

I want you to know that it isn't your hair, jewelry, clothes, or size that determines your worth. If the mirror that you look at says that you're not skinny enough, tall enough, or pretty enough, I'll let you in on a little secret... The mirror is a liar.
It took me a while to understand this because I was relying on what I was seeing in my reflection to be the sole reason for my dignity and beauty. But this is a lie.
You may desire to be sought and chased after and the easy way to see this happen would be to attract a moth to a flame, right? God created women last and why did he do this? Because we are the crown of His creation. We were made to be the most beautiful beings. I mean think about this for one moment... You look at mountains, skylines, and beautiful landscapes and see how magnificent they are! You look at them and see how massive and grand they are and think to yourself "How beautiful God made His creation". Yet when we look at ourselves in the mirror all we see are the flaws, wounds, and "mistakes" in us. The thing is that NONE of that, not even the tallest and most beautiful of mountains, can compare to the beauty that He created in you... His loving daughter.

One of the most beautiful women to ever walk this earth would have not been considered, by the worlds standards, to be 'beautiful'. Although, you ask any person about her and I am sure they would respond that she had a beauty within her that defied any worldly standards of beauty. She could catch someone's eye upon walking into a room and have others desire to mimic her.
This woman was Blessed Mother Teresa.
She was short. She wore a habit so you didn't ever see her hair. In fact, she wore the same thing everyday.
But she was so incredibly beautiful. It was the light of Christ within her and the love that she had for Him that made her soul beautiful and carried on to her outward appearance. She loved Christ with all she had and it truly showed in her appearance!


Your worth is found in Christ. When the mirror lies to you remember your beauty in the eyes of Our Lord. You are beautiful. You are irreplaceable. Your are more magnificent than the most beautiful sunsets, the largest mountains, and the rarest of jewels. Nothing God makes is a mistake or ugly! He loved you until his last breath! So my challenge? Love Him until yours.



This is dedicated specifically to my little 1 year old niece. Remember this, my love. God loves you just as you are.

1 comment: