Friday, November 8, 2013

Sticks and Stones May Break my Bones....

But words will never hurt me.

This is false. Words really hurt.

It says in scripture time and time again the importance of attention to the words we speak as to not harm our neighbor, and that words have power to both give life AND destroy the spirit.
How powerful, right? Our words have the capability to both give life and to destroy. That's intense.

Let me tell you.... this week has been actually pretty exhausting. Spiritually, physically, and emotionally. I feel pretty drained. But in all things we must praise Christ! What makes this feeling worthwhile is that I realize that I am exhausted because of following through with what Christ needed from me this week. I listened, empathized, and cried... In all of those things He just wanted to be an instrument of love to others who were feeling torn down.

Words.

Over the passed week I have witnessed them bring hope to the hopeless, acknowledge past wounds and in doing so make steps towards healing, give light to some shadow of darkness, restore faith in despair, and finally... reiterate love.
Unfortunately, I have also been witness to the power they have to hurt and break the spirit.

Our words are very powerful and shouldn't be taken lightly because as it says in Proverbs 15: 1, "There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing."
We have to make sure that we use our words to build up one another and not tear each other down.

When you feel hurt simply repeat this in your head, "Lord I pray for the conversion of their heart, but first begin with mine."


 



1 comment: