Thursday, September 26, 2013

Dress to Impress


So I'm a girl....

I take FOREVER to get ready. Just talk to the man who raised me and 3 other girls! There were so many times that he would wait on Sunday mornings patiently at 10:55 for us to get in the car and finally head to 11:00 o' clock Mass... yes we were those girls.

The part that I always struggle with is maintaining a fashionable style AND continuing to be modest.
While we're in the midst of fashion trends that are surfacing like crop tops and bandeau's I want to give you some tips that could help in your shopping or give you some alternative ideas!


Dress to Impress.... Princess Duty 101

  • First and foremost remember that although appearances may feel super important please know that it is not what identifies you as a person. Others may admire your beauty but your identification isn't in the makeup you wear, or the jeans you buy. Rather, your identity is the beautiful heart that belongs to Our Lord. In 1 Peter 3:3, "It is not fancy hair, gold jewelry, or fine clothes that should make you beautiful. No, your beauty should come from within you- the beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit. This beauty will never disappear, and it is worth very much to God."
  • Remember that you are the daughter of the King of Kings! This means that dressing appropriately does not just stay within the castle walls (or church) but should be expected in other places like school, campus, or work. 
  • On to some fashion tips for modesty...Layering is always good! You don't have to wear like 10 layers but its never wrong to wear a camisole under a tank top and finish it off with a cute cardigan and belt! Also make sure to add some fun accessories like scarves :) Here's an example of some cute layering that will give you an idea of what I'm talking about...
 I've become an obsessive layer-er lately:)       Layers (outfit credit, Michaela Courtney)      FALL


  • Well... skirts and dresses. It's best if you get a length that is at your knees. If you're like me that means that it is this awkward tee length dress that never looks too great. I have found a pretty great solution to this problem! About a month ago I made a trip to my local thrift store and got dresses and skirts. After purchasing those I went to Hobby Lobby and got some elastic. Afterwards, I went home and started cutting and making maxi skirts that actually fit me! Guess how much? 8 dollars! It's really easy and all you need are some scissors, a long dress, elastic, and liquid stitch. Here's an example of a couple that I made...


   
  • I haven't tried this with shorts yet but a few of my friends have gotten old jeans from the thrift store, cut them to an appropriate length, and just sewed maybe some lace to add a flare to the clothing. 
  • Make your modest clothing YOUR OWN! If you're going to be modest than you might as well have fun thinking up new creative ideas for it! :) There tends to be a stigma about modest clothing that it means you have to look like a grandma even though you're only 18 or 20 years old, but the reality is that the more you look into the creativity of modest clothing the more it allows for innovation and thinking to come into play with something as modern as fashion! So..... have fun! 
  • My final bit of advice?? Be confident! Believe and know what is said in Song of Songs 4:7, "You are altogether beautiful my love; there is no flaw in you." 

Here are some other cute ideas to create your very own #modestishottestcloset:


Classic cute outfit   lovely lovely outfit idea! Maxi Skirt, tee, denim shirt, and accessories!   love it    love!!





1 comment: